Friday, September 1, 2023

RPGaDay Challenge 2023 - What Goes Around Comes Around

 Bonus Prompt!



Consider this more a palette cleanser than a follow up. Stuff in my head I need to clear so I can move on to more intriguing things.

This year's RPGaDay event, the 10th Anniversary of this endeavor, was very disappointing to me. I lost interest about part way through but decided to continue anyway until I finally ran out of motivational energy around the final three posts. 

I've been comparing a number of my posts this past month to the same (or very similar) ones from 2014* throughout. I couldn't help it. Since the 2023 challenge is basically a repeat of the first one the original questions/prompts creeped into my memory unconsciously. 

The only two answers I'd like to visit (revisit?) are: 

Day 18 asks about favorite system. Generally I am of the opinion that the rules are the things that support the functionality of the game but stay out of my way so we can all have fun. That said, I do like mechanics that simulate and reinforce the setting and/or genre.

When I answered this in 2014 I said Star Wars D6, something I've said many times before and after and for years. 

The fact that in 2023 I am saying Star Trek Adventures is pretty amazing to me. Does this mean my tastes have changed? Are there similarities between these games perhaps? Hard to say without going into a deep analysis. Perhaps some other time. I do find it interesting that I've changed my feeling on this, even if its only by a small margin. 

Day 31 covers favorite game and that's somewhere else where the reigning champion has been unseated. Star Trek Adventures has topped LUG's Star Trek RPG and no one is more surprised then I. As I've noted before, there are aspects of the Icon System that I am particularly fond of and I do incorporate some of those into my Star Trek Adventures games. Even so, I am finding Star Trek Adventures to be the better game for my current crowd of Trekkers. It just works the way we need it to and feels the way we want it to feel. 

That's all for today. Just some thoughts with no real direction. I've got some ideas stirring up in my head but I'm not sure what directions I want to take them in. 

AD
Barking Alien

*It's the events 10th Anniversary, meaning the first RPGaDay occurred in 2013. For some reason I first participated in this challenge in 2014 and my 2014 posts seem to be the same as those for the original 2013 incarnation. I may have just learned about it in its second year, did a search, and got the questions from the first go-around without realizing it. Oops.







No comments:

Post a Comment