Sunday, April 12, 2015

C is for Cancelled, I Need a Rest

It is the evening of Sunday, April 12, 2015, and I am just sitting down to dinner after my 36th day in a row working without taking a day off.

I am not going to complete the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge this year. More than likely, I will not be posting very much for the rest of the month.

For those interested, I have cleared the obstacle that required me to work so much in the first place. I succeeded. I am victorious. Victory is tiring. I am exhausted.

In addition, I haven't been gaming very much as a result of my work schedule. I have managed to keep up with the Google Hangouts Supers game I play in, and ran a one-shot of Star Wars D6 for that very same group. While they had fun, it didn't feel right to me. It was a pale shadow of my former exploits running the game.

I was actually told by a friend (who is no longer with us) many years ago, "Star Trek may be your favorite, but you run Star Wars best".

I did not run it best last week.

I could easily explain away my poor performance by blaming how worn out I feel, how long its been since I've run WEG Star Wars, the fact that it was over the internet instead of face-to-face...but those are excuses, and I don't want excuses. I want answers. I want to know why I didn't run a blow-the-lid-off-it, badass session of my favorite system, and one of my top favorite settings.

There is something off. Something is not right, misaligned, not loading properly.

I've lost my mojo.

While I search for it, and perhaps until I get it back, things will be quiet here at Barking Alien.

Don't wait up, but don't worry either.

I'll be back soon.

AD
Barking Alien



11 comments:

  1. Take the time you need and deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The creative process is pretty organic. You may just need to go on a sabbath a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I can understand how you feel for I have a lot going on as well. This is my first a-z challenge and it can be overwhelming at times. Get the rest that you deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for your kind words.

    With five comments, sadly, I feel as if I should announce not posting more often. ^ ^;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey BA...

    I fully understand how you are feeling in regard to a game not feeling quite up to your own personal standards. I have experienced that a lot in roughly 38 years behind the screen, most recently with a session of Feng Shui that I ran at a local convention recently. The players seemed to enjoy themselves, but I myself felt that the game was lacking something I couldn't put my finger on.

    Fast Forward a couple of months to the beginning of a Feng Shui campaign using the playtest draft for the upcoming second edition. It was, in a word, magnificent. I came away from that session remembering that no matter how good you are at running a particular game/system/genre or how much you like it, you *WILL* have sessions that, as a GM, you'd rather forget. It's gonna happen.

    The big thing is to pick yourself up and not be afraid to run it again, and remember that you are good at that style of game for a reason be it love of the genre/system, practice, or what not...

    First off, though... rest. Sounds like you need it. Take care... =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there.
    Sorry you couldn't complete the A-Z Challenge. I found it grueling by about week two (this was my second year taking part), but I made it to the end. Wishing you the best for the future! I'm just popping over today from the A-Z Road Trip.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete