Thursday, July 29, 2021

August Rush

My series of blog posts dedicated to Japanese Tabletop RPGs has been delayed by my overactive but under performing brain. My head is in too many places as once and the next set of posts on Superhero RPGs in Japan has suffered because of it.

In addition, my business has been picking up considerably. I've starting going back to the gym and otherwise exercising more regularly. All positives to be sure but ones that have taken up a good deal of my energy and time. 

As July ends and August begins, my aforementioned analysis of Japanese TRPGS in general and Superhero ones specifically are going to have to remain on hold. At least for a while.

For August, I am once again going to be participating in the RPGaDay Challenge. This year - 2021 - will see my 7th annual outing with this initiative and while I have often teased it, taunted it, and even outright mocked it on various occasions...I have to admit I love it. I really enjoy challenging myself to complete the entire RPGaDay month, even when the prompts have been incredibly frustrating. 


This year, I am pretty happy with the primary prompt words. I find them simple, straightforward, and at the same time full of the capacity for expansive interpretation. Most notably the words this year seem a heck of a lot more interesting then last year. Maybe they saw how much difficulty a number of us had in 2020 and decided to go with terms that were more RPG oriented. 

Alternative words have also been included in case the main prompt doesn't do anything for you but I'll definitely be sticking with the primary ones. It just seems more sporting for some reason.




What I am especially pleased to see is that they have fixed my biggest complaint of last year: The early prompts - the first week or so - are good ones. In 2020 the few good prompts came towards the end. The first dozen or so words were kind of lame, dampening ones' enthusiasm for continuing. 

Yes, I can already see a few tough ones on this prompt calendar. There are certainly words that I will find difficult to write anything engaging about, at least at first glance. My hope is that the early ones will excite me and rev up my energy for tackling the trickier ones. We shall see.

Anywho, Japanese Tabletop Gaming shall return in September along with a variety of other bits and bobs. In the meantime, here's hoping you will join me and many other RPG fans for the RPGaDay 2021 Event this August. 

See you then,

AD
Barking Alien


PS: Don't forget that August 25th marks my 44th Year in the Hobby Anniversary! Woot!





 


5 comments:

  1. I deeply understand the overactive but underperforming brain. My sympathies.

    Exercise, however, is generally a good thing.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the challenge. I look forward to seeing what you come up with, and your anniversary should make the "Welcome" prompt that much easier ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know BA - that looks like a list of generic English words with pretty tenuous connections to RPGs so I'm skipping it yet again. I will be looking forward to seeing how you tackle them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it does look a bit generic but for me it's far better than last year and that is enough to get the juices flowing.

      Sadly, I often need some kind of outside stimulus or catalyst to get me going and this is as good as any.

      Delete