Saturday, January 7, 2023

No Dungeons, Less Dragons

Here it is, my first post of the New Year! Woot! Exploding cigars and sparkling muscatel all around! 

What should we talk about on this very special occasion?

Let's see...anything going on in the RPG Hobby right now? What's this? D&D...Oh, One D&D? OK, so...*mutter mutter*...the OGL...huh, hmmm...Wizards of the Coast...*mutter mutter*...OK. Well then. That's a thing, ain't it?


This. This is something.

I may owe Wizards of the Coast money for
showing this and discussing this now, huh?


Anyway...what else is happening? Anything interesting? Huh? What do I think about the whole thing? Well...very little. 

Let's back up a step.

I have decided not to do the Dungeon 23 Challenge that Sean McCoy purposed for this year, largely because my thoughts and interests are elsewhere. The more I thought about doing it, the more I realized I wasn't enthused enough to put the effort in.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of Dungeon 23 conceptually. It sounds like a fun exercise and one that would generate tons of material for Gamemasters across the internet and the RPG community. To me, this makes the idea a more than worthwhile endeavor.

The thing is, I've looked through some of the posts already out there on the subject and largely they've reminded me why I don't like Dungeons or use them. The Old School approach to Dungeon construction just doesn't interest me in the least.
 



This takes us full circle to One D&D. Just like I don't have any investment in the building of a Dungeon, I don't care very much about D&D and what happens to it. If the current situation hurts D&D, that's unfortunate but it doesn't effect me, my gaming, or this blog.

My bigger disappointment is with the fact that it might spell trouble for many creatives in the RPG industry I like, regardless of whether I use their material or not. The decisions WotC makes in the days, weeks, and months to follow could drastically effect the livelihood of some really talented people and really good games. 

Lastly, there are some other creators out there doing their thing who are also, well, real turds. As people that is. Their work might be decent but it, like they themselves, aren't really on my radar. I don't care for stuff I don't care for by people I don't care for. Simple as that. 

Am I going to be mad at you for liking their stuff? Nope. Knock yourself out. Not my circus, not my monkeys. Do I want to hear about those creatives and their books? Nope. Once more, no interest. 

Anyway, that's enough of that.

OK, back to work. I am writing up the basic list of Trainer Moves and an Inventory List so my Pokemon: Rise and Fall players can finish creating their characters. After that I will be posting the Rise and Fall Starting Pokemon and hopefully going a bit deeper into the setting/campaign.

I've recently become really obsessed with a new idea but honestly its really weird (REEEALLY Weird) and although I'd love to discuss it, I have to figure out what it actually is first. 

Anyway, good luck D&D fans, creatives, and Dungeon 23 participants! Keep lovin' what you love and doing what you do.

Later days,

AD
Barking Alien






1 comment:

  1. Good call on Dungeon 23. In fact, a great article to kick off the year. Although it won't affect me directly, I hope WoTC picks up on the wave of dissent around their rumoured changes to the OGL, overrules the suits and let's things continue as they are.

    ReplyDelete