Sunday, October 1, 2023

Pumpkins Scream In The Dead of Night!

It's October my ghastly ghouls and goblins! The Spooky Season has begun...




Welcome to a month of Halloween-themed tricks and treats here at Barking Alien. There will be some non-ghostly goings on as well but the majority of the posts this October will focus on the eerie, the unsettling, and all the things that go bump in the night. 

Bucket List of The Dead

The title above is a reference to Zom 100: Bucket List of The Dead, a Japanese Manga and Anime of the same name (actually, "Zom 100: 100 Things I Want to do Before I Become a Zombie") and a perfect way to describe one of my goals for the month; I want to revisit Horror TRPGs from Japan and hopefully cover all the ones I didn't get to describe the last time I tackled the subject. Join me as I look at what's new and what's popular in the Japanese Tabletop Role-Playing Game market as it pertains to what's kowai ('scary').

Case Files from The Home Office

I'll be posting up some of the old adventures and adversaries from our high school/early college Ghostbusters campaign: The Home Office courtesy of conversations with the original players! After talking with the guys over Discord and Facebook Messenger we recalled a few of our best outings and that jolted my memories of some additional scenarios.

I'll be updating the info and stats to match my current homebrew Ghostbusters AD system (a hybrid of the original West End Games rules, InSpectres, and the Panic/Stress system from ALIEN). See the Ghostbusters tag to see prior posts related to the subject.

Madness in The Mountains

My good buddy Keith, a member of my Sunday evening group, is about to tackle a campaign of Old Gods of Appalachia. This is his first time running an ongoing horror campaign and I've asked him to share his thoughts on the exercise. Look forward to that later in the month. 


Find yourself the most sincere pumpkin patch you can find and settle in for a lot of thrilling and chilling Halloween fun this October. 

AD
Barking Alien

Make that 'Booing Alien'! Muwa-ha-ha-ha!








2 comments:

  1. That all sounds magnificent, Adam. I'm looking forward to all of this. Your analysis of Japanese games is always educational and I love to hear about your old Ghostbusters campaign. Meanwhile, I know nothing about Old Gods of Appalachia, so my interest is piqued there as well because it's a new horror system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim.

      Old Gods of Appalachia is new to me as well and while I'm not fond of the Cypher System (Monte Cook Games), I am curious to learn how a Horror game using it goes.

      Ghostbusters is of course a favorite subject/setting of mine so expect that to come first.

      I need to do some additional research for my Japanese TRPG articles but rest assured they are in the works.

      Delete