Monday, January 1, 2024

Shinki-itten - A Fresh Start

Happy New Year dear readers and welcome to 2024!

Last year sucked blog wise. The only year with a lower post count was 2009, the year I started doing this. Several projects I was really excited to undertake ended up never coming to pass and many others were started but remain unfinished. That's not to say there weren't some quality posts, just not a lot of them. Certainly not enough of them in my opinion.

I had some personal issues last year that required my attention and took me away from the blog but rest assured they are now behind me. I am endeavoring to start anew in 2024, improving myself and my life both personally and professionally. This enables me to improve my blogging as well, which is something I really need for my mental well being it turns out. 

To that end...




It's Japanuary here at Barking Alien, with an entire month largely focused on Tabletop Role Playing Games inspired by, all about, or coming from Japan and Japanese Pop Culture Entertainment. We're going to talk about Anime, Manga, Mythology, History, Sentai, and much more, with an emphasis on how they can be gamed. From Mecha to the Meiji Era, from Monster Katsu to Tokusatsu, get ready for a wild ride. 

A few disclaimers first:

I want to be clear upfront that I do not speak or read Japanese. I am not a trained expert on the subjects of Japanese history, culture, or Japan's TRPG market. I am merely an enthusiast who first became seriously interested in Anime and Manga some 35-40 years ago. I first discovered Japan had an active paper, pencil, and dice RPG hobby in 1989 and became absolutely obsessed with learning more about it. I've had numerous friends and acquaintances, including several of Japanese origin or living oversea who are more knowledgeable then myself and have been kind enough to indulge my curiosity.

Combining all this time, effort, information, and personal experiences running and/or playing these games myself, I hope to provide those with less exposure to the merest of glimpse into this fascinating world.

私と一緒に来てください /  Watashitoisshoni kite kudasai

Please come with me,

AD
Barking Alien

My deepest condolences to the people of Japan at this time, especially those in the Noto Peninsula region of Ishikawa Prefecture. Today at 4:30 pm JST, a number of earthquakes struck, including one rated at a magnitude of 7.6. The earthquakes generated a massive tsunami measuring up to 1.2 miles along the Sea of Japan. My heart and thoughts go to those effected. 




1 comment: