Thursday, October 30, 2014

From Splash Page to The Silver Screen

As a fan of Superheroes, comic books, movies, and Superhero RPGs, I feel obligated to say something about the recently updated Marvel Cinematic Universe film release schedule.




HOLY HULK ON A HELICARRIER!


The Black Panther! Yes! Captain Marvel? Oh yeah! The Inhumans...wait...really? AWESOME!

I am told DC is also going to make some movies. *Yawn*

Here's the thing...I love Superhero movies because I love Superheroes. I love Superheroes because I grew up on comic books. If the movies are awesome, but the comic books suck, I am less likely to be jazzed about the films.

Marvel is doing a pretty good job on it's comic books right now. Not perfect, and there's lots of room for improvement, but generally speaking, Marvel comics are good. Since their comics are good, I am interested in their movies.

Since the DC characters I love are really no longer around, and the films seem more aligned with the newer incarnations, I really have no interest in the DC movies at all.

At least I have The Flash TV series. I am really liking The Flash.

AD
Barking Alien








2 comments:

  1. Marvel's lineup has really blown me away. So far, while not every movie has been "knock it out of the park" awesome like Guardians of the Galaxy or Avengers they have all at least been enjoyable (I still need to see Dark World and Winter Soldier). They are really embracing their zany comic book roots and brining that feel to the big screen. It also helps that Marvel has done a much better job over the years of keeping the characters relatable, even the gods like Thor. DC started to do that, but then wiped it all away with the New 52.

    DC is really going to have to step up their game to keep from being completely overshadowed by the Marvel Studios juggernaut. Their movies have just been so lackluster (the comics too). I really liked the Dark Knight Trilogy (even if the 3rd installment was kind of "meh"), but beyond that DC's offerings haven't been up to snuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what makes Marvel's movies good is that they know they sources. In Thor 2 you have a scene with futuristic-alien-nordic gods chasing each other in flying chariots and firing energy staffs. Why? Because that's what Thor is all about. If you think that's campy, you are probably right. But it is faithful, original (in screen) and fun.

    (By the way, I think the first Thor movie, on the contrary, is both the most mundane and the most boring in all the series)

    ReplyDelete