Saturday, August 18, 2018

RPGaDay Challenge 2018 - Day 18 & 19

Yeeeah...so...




and





Questions like this, which pop up regularly in these sorts of challenges, never fail to amuse me. 

It is largely the wording. What art inspires your game? What music? For 'my game'. As if I have but one. As if there is one sort of art or music or but one source to find them. I know, or at least I'm fairly sure, that's not what they mean but it does seem to be very narrow way of asking about a subject with very wide ranging answers. 

I have no one source of artwork or one style of art as I do not have one type of game. When running Traveller I tend to use more 'photo-realistic' art than I do when running Star Trek or Star Wars for example. With the latter two I can get away with more stylized illustrations compared to what I am inspired by when it comes to the Hard Science Fiction setting of Traveller's Third Galactic Imperium. 

I am a visual person, and an artist myself. Images tell a story and more over convey a feel and an atmosphere. I am all about that. The art must match the genre, setting, and story and vice versa.

The same is true of music. I do have a confession that may sound weird - I am not often inspired by music for my games. I mean, I like music and there have certainly been times where the right music in the background adds to the flavor of the game but generally speaking it's not a tool I use very often. 

I wish I had more to say on these subjects but I feel I have spoken about this many time before. How about you? What art and music inspires and enhances your game (singular - Tee hee hee).

AD
Barking Alien








No comments:

Post a Comment