Monday, May 28, 2018

REJOICE

This past Saturday, the 26th of May, I attended a baby shower for my friend Joseph Cangelosi and his lovely wife Evelin. 

A heartwarming event to be sure but, you may be wondering, 'Why post such a thing to this blog?'

Joseph Cangelosi, mentioned in posts on this blog here and there over the years, is my oldest friend. We met when we were both 7 years of age, in 2nd Grade. Over the course of our elementary and middle school years we became the closest of best friends, sleeping over each others houses all the time, attending the others family get togethers and holidays, and basically being brothers in all but blood. 





As my mother would often say when she introduced us, "This is my son Adam, my daughter Karen, and my other son Joe. Only Joe's not related."

We've know each other now for over 40 years. There have been long stretches where we didn't talk. I hadn't physically seen him in the flesh in over 15 years prior to the baby shower, though we speak on Facebook regularly. I hadn't seen his mom and dad in over 35 years. His older brother I could even say, but likely around the same length of time. His older sister 25-30 years, as she used to work at a Barnes and Noble I frequented in my high school and college years. As far as his younger sister, well it was thanks to her finding me and contacting me via Facebook some years ago that enabled us to reconnect. 

Seeing him this past Saturday, seeing them all, was an experience so amazing, so deep-down-in-my-soul good that I can not do it justice in words. Let's just say I don't say soul often, and I just did because I have no other way of describing it. 





I am so happy to have had the opportunity to be with Joe, his wife, and their families for this special event that I am beside myself. My girlfriend came with me and she said you could see the emotion on my face and in my body language. She also said that it was mirrored by Joe. He was as ecstatic to have me there as I was to be there.

We talked about the old days, the crazy antics of two geeky kids growing up poor in the pre-internet Brooklyn of the late 1970s and early 80s. We caught up on family, friends, who had kids, who got married, etc. Joe, his older brother Rob, and I talked about the new Star Wars, the Marvel movies, and all kinds of related subjects. It was an absolute blast. 





I will finish this post with the warmest and most sincere Congratulations to my dear friend, his wife, and the entire Cangelosi clan! I can't wait to meet the newest addition when he arrives!

Peace, Love, Joy, and Harmony to Everyone and May The Force Be With You.

Oh, did I mention the baby shower was Star Wars themed? Yeah. It was a Star Wars-themed Baby Shower.






AD
Barking Alien







No comments:

Post a Comment