Tuesday, August 27, 2024

RPGaDay 2024 - Barking Alien Edition - Day 15

'All the Universe is full of the life of perfect creatures.'
Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Scientist. One of the 'fathers' of modern astronautics and rocketry. 


I love animals and I love Science Fiction, so it isn't surprising that one of my favorite aspects of the latter is alien critters. The field of exozoology would definitely be my calling if I lived a distant future akin to Star Trek or Traveller. 


Art by Nicholas Ferrand


I love considering what kind of animals might live on the planets I create for my Science Fiction RPGs, even if they don't necessarily play a major part in the adventure I'm running. As mentioned previously in the post on WORLDS (Day 13), a creature that is both strange to the players but squarely fits its environment can add a sense of 'realism' to largely fantastic local. 


Shy by Alexander Ostrowski


Dragon Magazine #123 (July 1987) had a Star Frontiers article in it titled, 'The Whole Earth Ecology' that discussed... While the article was not an indepth bio-sciences analysis of life on other planets, it did what many great Dragon articles did back in the day; it made easily forgotten things to remember stick out in your mind and it inspired ideas. 


Art by nao70shark

Like a lot of articles from the old Dragon I read and re-read this one over and over, each time getting charged up by the very idea of populating distant worlds with new life forms. I couldn't wait to flex my creative muscles and create creatures that would challenge and interest my players and create a believable ecosystem for the world around them. 


The Sardu Reef by Alex Reis aka Abiogenesis


As you can see from the images accompanying this post, visuals play an important role in my use of creatures. I really like having or making pictures of the creatures I am referring to during a game. Sometimes the visual will inspire the development of a beastie and other times the critter concept comes first. Either way, a picture really enhances the introduction of a new alien animal. 


Art by Ben Mauro


With that, I don't really have much else say. I just love me some cute and cuddly creatures like the fellow above. Heheh. I'm sure I'll have some inspired revelation tomorrow but that's the way it goes. 

AD
Barking Alien

BONUS FEATURE: Day 15 of the official RPGaDay 2024 Prompts:




Hmm. You know which characters have great gear? Starfleet characters and Ghostbusters. 

I might have mentioned this before but playing these two games, along with Star Wars, really shook up my outlook on how to run an RPG. Starting the characters off with some seriously awesome hardware not only feels right for the settings in question but also adds to the idea that gear is cool but not the goal.

The objective isn't obtaining more and/or better weapons when you start off with a Phaser or Particle Thrower. The Tricorder and PKE Meter are the right tools for the right job in their respective settings. You've already got the best toys. You're free to dig a little deeper and sure for something more meaningful. 'Course you could still be in it for the money in Ghostbusters and Star Wars. Oh well.





No comments:

Post a Comment