Tuesday, August 4, 2015

RPGaDay Challenge 2015 - Day 4





Alright Chapman, now you're just yanking my chain.

Most surprising game? Surprising in what way?

Are we talking recently (as with most of the other questions so far), or ever?

I'm not sure you're being vague enough here.




Barkley's thinking something is off about this year's
RPGaDay Challenge. And I agree..



I haven't had a game surprise me in forever. Interest me certainly. Intrigue me, yes indeed. Impress me definitely.

Surprise me? No, not really. Not since...well...

Dungeons & Dragons surprised me in how little sense it made the more I played it, and thought about it.

Villains & Vigilantes surprised me in the way they did armor compared to D&D. Also, it surprised me because it was a Superhero RPG, and that's what I really wanted to play.

Star Trek (FASA) surprised me because, HOLY CRAP! They made a Star Trek RPG!!!

Star Wars impressed me because it was so damn fast, and easy.

Paranoia , Ghostbusters, and Toon surprised me because they were Comedy RPGs, and actually funny.

Hunter Planet surprised me because it was a comedy, Science Ficition RPG from Australia, and it was awesome.

DC HEROES surprised me because HOLY CRAP! They made a DC Comics RPG!!! It also introduced me to point buy systems.

Champions surprised me because I liked it, a lot, in spite of it's crunchy rules.

Mekton, and Teenagers from Outer Space surprised me because an American Game Designer actually understood Anime, and Manga. 

Wares Blade, Sword World, Fighting Spirit, SATASUPE Remix, and Metal Head surprised me because Japan had their own RPGs and they rocked.

MegaTraveller surprised me because my first experience with Traveller was pretty negative, and I thought Traveller was lame. After playing MegaTraveller, I went back to Traveller, and it became a favorite.

World of Darkness surprised me because I'm not a gothic, or romantic horror fan, but it made me like it.

Changeling: The Dreaming surprised me because it understood what I liked, and I understood it.

Star Trek (Last Unicorn Games) surprised me because they made a Star Trek game that was quite different from FASA's and I fell in love with it.

Red Dwarf surprised me because HOLY CRAP! They made a Red Dwarf RPG!

Mouse Guard surprised me because it was so well done, and true to the comics, while it's parent game Burning Wheel is cumbersome, and over written.

Marvel Heroic surprised me because it reads like an unplayable mess, but is actually very fun in practice.

I was surprised that D&D 5E was better than 4E, but somehow still not that interesting to me.

Does that count?

AD
Barking Alien




2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of surprises sir. I'd like to hear more about how you liked world of darkness as I just never could get on board with the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you about D&D making little sense, but then -- as a teenager, staying overnight with a friend of mine (Victor Cole, are you still alive somewhere?) I found myself reading "Tarnsman of GOR" aloud and we were both kind of cracking up at the whole concept. I had read the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories. I had read the Lord of the Rings (which was rather the opposite to D&D) and struggled to keep my attention focused enough to read Jack Vance's "Dying Earth" stories (which I found terrible) but also read a good amount of Leigh Brackett, and Poul Anderson, and as a result the basic conceit of a band of murder-hobos wandering from ruin to ruin in a slightly decaying land which was suffering from the aftermath of a great evil, it made a sort of sense. Every game world I created involved some necessary underpinnings to make the tropes of D&D work. And it did take a lot of prep work to make that happen.

    Incidentally and for an utterly unrelated reason, here's a piece of artwork you might enjoy: https://www.deviantart.com/nick-perks/art/TLIID-Marvel-crossover-mashup-1-531811176

    ReplyDelete