Monday, January 30, 2012

Answering My Own Damn Questions

It would seem that either the questions I posed weren't interesting enough or people were just feeling a tad lazy this weekend, as literally dozens and dozens of views result in only three real responses.

What's a furry, green canine got to do to get a comment around here?

Anyway, thanks to those who did respond and now, I answer my own damn questions thank you very much (all in fun, all in fun)...


1) What is the most common type of environment or terrain encountered thus far in your current or most recent campaign? 

Champions - Urban.

Although in the 20 some odd sessions we played we visited forests, beaches, mountains, deep space, underground and underwater conditions, we always returned to a city.

***

D&D-But-Not Light - Ocean

Largely a pirate type game of sorts, the majority of our adventures have taken place on the high seas or small islands of various types.


2) What is the most exotic or unusual environment or terrain encountered thus far in your current or most recent campaign?

Champions - Outer space or an alternate timeline. Maybe underwater.

***

D&D-But-Not Light - Jungle Island with a mountainous ridge in the center.


3) What environment or terrain type have you never used but always wanted to? Why haven't you?

I can't think of any environment I haven't used ever. Previous campaigns have featured jungles that rain liquid nitrogen, lava fields, a dramatically enlarged environment, a dramatically small environment, the bottom of a frozen ocean and inside the body of a decaying, organic starship.

I love environments. Frozen tundra and arctic are among my favorites.


4) Do you have a combat rule or mechanic from another game system you are using in the game system you currently play, played recently or generally play?

I basically port the combat maneuvers from Champions into every game I play, allowing PCs to hold a move, deliver a haymaker, move by, move through, etc.

You don't need feats. Everyone can do these things. 


5) In your opinion, what genre has received too little attention in regards to RPGs based on that subject?

There are two really, IMO. Time Travel and Ghost Story style horror. It would really be horror per se but something more akin to supernatural folklore thriller. It's hard to describe (which may be why we haven't see it) but I will be addressing it with a blog post in the near future.


6) If a quality RPG on the aforementioned neglected genre came out tomorrow, what would make you buy it? What would prevent you from buying it?

Light, flexible rules, easily adapted or modified to accommodate my style of play and decent to good art. Bad art and overly complex rules would prevent me from buying it. It would have to be both. I would either get it anyway just to milk it for ideas.

7) Do you find it easier to learn the rules of a game by reading the rule book or by sitting down and just playing it?

Playing unless the rules are simple and the writing style very light hearted. I don't have the attention span or patience for rule reading that I once did.


8) Name a currently available artist not normally associated with RPGs who you'd love to see do some RPG work.

I could name dozens but I'd love to see Brian Froud, Syd Mead or comic artists like Cory Walker and Chris Sprouse do some RPG illustrations. 


9) What one book, movie, video, etc. that is not an RPG that you think should be.

I personally think Tony DiTerlizzi novel for young people, 'The Search for WondLa', would make an amazing introductory game setting to get kids into the hobby.

The same is true for Fraggle Rock. This seems a no-brainer.

Lastly, Harry Potter. 'Nuff Said. 


10) Can you think of an RPG you've run or played in which the GM (be it you or someone else) used/referenced non-game related books to run the campaign more often than game related books?

Star Trek. I really use anything more than the main rule book and perhaps a couple of others that provide construction systems or additional subsystem (like starship building and combat). The rest of the game comes out of The Star Trek Encyclopedia, the episodes and movies and my head.


Anyway, back to trying to figure out what my next game will be from this point on. I have had a few too many game deprived weekends and I just can't let that continue.

See you soon,

AD
Barking Alien





3 comments:

  1. Too little attention to time travel? Between Timeship and GURPS Infinite Worlds I thought it was covered!

    (I'm working on your questions! Honest!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GURPS Infinite Worlds is awesome expect that it requires GURPS ;p

    Timeship, timeship...I barely remember that game. And I love obscure games!

    What I was really getting at is...OK, name some cool Supers RPGs that came out in the last five years? A lot. Smallville, new editions of Mutants & Masterminds and Champions, BASH, Capes, etc. How about Sci-Fi? New editions or incarnations of Traveller, Stars Without Number, Shock, 3:16;Carnage Amongst The Stars just to name a few. Now time travel...er...um...hmmm. Not so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, me too on the GURPS thing. I'd still play it, not sure I'm up for running it again. Timeship was that wonderful Yaquinto product that made not a lick of sense. "You're at a dinner party and someone has killed Dracula" - "OK, Good - let's eat" - "But it's a mystery you have to solve" - "Nope, where I come from we kill vampires. Isn;t that what the party is for? Someone finally got the big one!" - "No no no..." The parchment character sheets were cool though.

    It's a slightly obscure genre. I think you have enough Supers options to cover it if you wanted to do so though. Plus: Star Trek - Trek damn near owns time travel as an adventure theme anyway.

    ReplyDelete