Monday, August 5, 2019

RPGaDay Challenge 2019 - SPACE




Space?!? Seriously? You want me to write something about Space? Muhuwahahaha! I thought you'd never ask!

Let's see. What's the first thing I think of when I think of Space. Well there's always...



This is an image of the Observable Universe.




This is a map of all the Exoplanets NASA has cataloged as of this post. The number is 4003. Yes. Four thousand and three planets have been observed orbiting stars other than our own.

Is that not the coolest thing you have ever conceived of? These aren't made up worlds. They're not from Science Fiction. There are PLANETS BEYOND OUR SOLAR SYSTEM and WE CAN SEE THEM! *Squee*

Ever since I was a very young child I have been absolutely fascinated with and inspired by Outer Space. I had a telescope way back when and I would spend a few hours each night looking at the stars. I lived in Brooklyn, New York and you really couldn't see all that much due to smog and the eternal glow of New York. At the same time, every tiny pin-prick of light in the endless black sheet of night was a catalyst for my imagination and a glimmer of hope that 'we are not alone'. 

I would constantly stare at some random star and wonder if there was a young being looking back at our Sun just as I looked at theirs and thinking, as I did, 'Is there anybody out there?'

Space Adventure Science Fiction is by far my favorite subject/genre for running Role-Playing Games. Whether it's a unified alliance of species banded together to explore the unknown reaches of the cosmos or a ragtag band of rebels trying to overthrow the tyranny of a galaxy spanning empire, I can guarantee that's where my head, heart, and dare I say spirit can be found.

The very idea of an infinite void that is not a void at all but filled with stars, planets, asteroids, comets, radiation, and potentially life propels my creativity far more than Fantasy ever could. Always in the back of my mind there is the knowledge that dragons are not real, magic is impossible, but Space...Space exists, as do all the things within it.

From the horror of Alien to the comedy of Galaxy Quest, the social commentary of Star Trek to the classic star-spanning action of Lensman or Valerian and Laureline, Space is the ultimate place to find adventure. 

Over the past 42 years I've run and played dozens upon dozens of RPGs set in Space. In addition to IP games based on some of the franchises I've mentioned, I have had successful games set in the universes of Traveller, Space Opera, and Star Frontiers, as well as numerous settings of my own design. 

Currently I am running a Star Trek campaign set in the era of The Original Series (now in it's fourth year) and FRONTIER, a hard Sci-Fi meets horror game I've been developing for about 30 years. 

I have other Space game ideas. I will always have other space game ideas.

After all, it's the final frontier.

AD
Barking Alien







No comments:

Post a Comment