Sunday, August 8, 2021

RPGaDay Challenge 2021 - FLAVOR

 


Flavor is a favorite word of mine because boy oh boy, I love Flavor. 

I'm a bit of a foodie, especially picky about my coffee and craft beer (currently obsessed with Sours), and can't eat the same thing two meals in a row. Seriously. If I have chicken tacos for lunch, dinner needs to be beef or pork and not Mexican food. I just can't do that to my taste buds. This is in spite of the fact that I love Mexican food. 

I need Flavor diversity. I need my coffee strong, nutty, and with a mild chocolate or caramel finish. I like my sour beers of the sweet and citrus variety but I am extremely open to trying something new. When it comes to ice cream, hell, what have you got? I'll try practically anything. 

I am the same way with RPGs. I can't understand those who play only a single game and even less so those who've only played that game for years and years. With all the different Flavors our there, why limit yourself to just the one? 

I also don't get playing different games the same way. I have personally encountered players and [to a lesser extent] GMs who approach every game, regardless of setting or system, as if it were D&D. Be it Ars Magica, Cyberpunk, Star Trek, or Champions, it's all about killing enemies and looting bodies. Why would you do that? It takes all the Flavor out of the meal. Would you cook every dish by boiling it in water with a little salt? That works OK for some vegetables but I wouldn't want these same gamers to make me a hamburger or fried pork chops. 

Fried food doesn't do well boiled in water. 

Embrace and enjoy the spices and textures that make each game unique! Challenge your RPG palate! What well aged Combat System pairs well with a bold, real world simulation Superhero game? Find out!

Now if you'll excuse me I am going to savor a vintage Action/Comedy RPG. Mmm, 1986! A very good year.

Entry 6 - Flavor.

AD
Barking Alien







No comments:

Post a Comment