Monday, August 17, 2020

RPGaDay Challenge 2020 - COMFORT





Comfort.

Comfort makes me think of comfort food. That's basically food that provides one with a nostalgic or sentimental feeling. It's often characterized by being high in calories and carbohydrates and/or simple preparation. The nostalgic feeling can be specific to a culture, a time, a place, or just an individual. 

I find it curious that when I think about my own, personal comfort foods, they probably aren't what most people would think they'd be unless they knew me very well. I am a 51 year old white male, of Prussian decent and Jewish heritage, who was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York to a lower-middle class family. 

My comfort foods include ramen and udon noodles, pork dumpling and buns, congee, and small, soft tortilla tacos. I make Chinese, Japanese, and Korean food - particularly noodle soups - fairly often for dinner, especially during Winter months.

Much like my taste in comfort food, my taste in 'comfort gaming' is probably a bit atypical of the majority of gamers my age. I started with Basic D&D in 1977 at the age of eight, but my preferences these days are very different. 

Comfort gaming for me is Star Trek, Star Wars, and to a lesser extent Superheroes, specifically Champions. 

When it comes to Star Trek my current go-to is Modiphius' Star Trek Adventures and I've been going to it fairly often lately. I also love going back to the classic FASA version and Last Unicorn Games' Icon System, which remains one of my all time favorite RPGs. 

Star Wars begins and ends with West End Games' D6 system. I've always loved it and always will. 

As for Champions, I like the 4th Edition 'Big Blue Book' the best and though I've looked into the other variations but always go back to 4E. 

Other comfort games that come to mind are classic Traveller, the new ALIEN RPG, and maybe Ars Magica is coming close to that status as well. 

Well, that's about that. Hmmm. I could really go for some yakisoba now.

AD
Barking Alien






1 comment:

  1. I just came back to WEG Star Wars. I'm almost 50 and that version of Star Wars RPG was so formative. I got the two book set that came out a little while ago and it's smiles all they way. I have a bunch of young games in my group and I can't wait to introduce it to them. I remember how Carrie Fisher talked about George Lucas's direction and apply that to my DMing: "He just said 'Faster!' or "More intense!"

    ReplyDelete