Monday, August 24, 2020

RPGaDay Challenge 2020 - HUMOR




Humor.

Now here's a prompt I can get behind.

Humor is a subject very near and dear to me and one I've covered on this blog fairly often. Given our current state of 'global crapfest', humor is something we can all use more of and we should never take for granted.

Humor is, in many ways, one of the great defining elements of the Human condition (and the condition of those of us trying to hide among you.). With a world wide pandemic presently hindered in many places by social un-wellness and the diseases of political corruption, indifference, and flat out stupidity, comedy and laughter are among our most powerful survival tools. It is time to embrace 'the best medicine'. 

Humor is no cure all, nor is it always appropriate to combat the problems at hand. That said, I personally feel it is vital in seeing the bigger picture without that picture overwhelming us. 

Now I come from a long line of funny people. My mother is funny, as was her father. My father was funny, though his humor was often dry and sometimes even a tad dark (especially towards the end of his life). 

I was raised on Mel Brooks movies, Monty Python, the Muppet Show, and a veritable cavalcade of sitcoms, far too numerous and varied to list here. Comedy, especially 'genre comedy' remains my favorite film and television category. 

I also love, Love, LOVE, humor in RPGs. 

At this very moment I am kind of obsessed with a campaign idea that I know I could turn into one of the best campaigns I've run in a long time, if only I could assemble a group that would be willing to give it a try. 

I know exactly who I'd want to be in it, but I am also acutely aware that some of them...it would be a hard sell. I don't know if I could get all the players I'd like to have participate buy in to the idea. Thing is, if you read post 22, 'Rare', you'd know that if I don't have the people I'm thinking of, it might be impossible to pull it off at all. 

Still and all, thinking about my concept and its potential puts a smile on my face. I see how great it could be because I see the humor in it and really, that's the same reason I know the world will be OK in the long run. 

I see the humor in us all. 

AD
Barking Alien







No comments:

Post a Comment