Monday, August 14, 2017

RPGaDay Challenge 2017 - Day 9

Hi everybody!

I've been away on a little vacation, and now that I'm back I see I have some catching up to do on the ol' RPGaDay Challenge.

Let's get to it!






Huh. Interesting. I sense...a pattern maybe? A theme? Let me check something.

It seems there is a preoccupation with duration this year. A question about the best game for two hours of play, ten sessions, and ongoing, or open-ended. 

Curious.

While some games definitely work better than others for extended campaigns, I don't usually think of games in this way. I tend to think of a story, an idea, or a theme, and then I consider how long it will take me to explore that idea, or story. 

If I want to run a short campaign set in the Star Trek universe that explores the finals days of the Federation-Romulan War. As I plan out the key elements, I think I can do it in six, 4 hour sessions. 

If I want to run a campaign that sees a World War II fighter pilot lost in the magical world of Oz. If I have standard 6-8 hours sessions (the standard session length for my face-to-face, weekend groups), I can probably get everything sorted in three, or four sessions. 

If I were going to revisit my Gonzo-Sci-Fi-Romantic Comedy-Anime/Manga setting of 'Blast City Blues', I'd want to run it for a least six sessions, and as many as twelve (you know, the length of most classic OVA series, or Japanese Anime TV seasons). 

The length of time doesn't determine the game. The game determines the length of time. 

AD
Barking Alien






No comments:

Post a Comment