Monday, July 15, 2013

Cancelling The Apocalypse

Go Big Or Go...Oh Hell. Just Go Big.
 
 
 
 
Hollywood is an amazing place capable of wonderous things that defy the imagination.
 
They made Star Trek dumb.
 
They made Superman an arse.
 
Based on this track record, there is no way in hell that this Western poop machine is going to be able to crank out a good version of an idea so utterly Eastern as Giant Robots versus Giant Monsters.
 
And yet...
 
Pacific Rim was great. I mean really, really good. I am as surprised as you are.

I have heard it said that it wasn't original. That everything in it was from somewhere else.

Newsflash. Everything from everything is from somewhere else. Especially in Hollywood.

That said, it is true that the film is exactly like that other big budget, American made, live action movie with cool effects and a lot of action in which huge, humanoid robots battle immense, alien monsters.

You know the one. It was...well...gee...unless I'm forgetting something...there wasn't one.

Right.

Look, it's not a cinematic masterpiece, and it isn't Shakespeare, but you know what, that's fine with me. After the rest of the crap this Summer, I am totally OK with this movie being this movie. It's the film I always wanted to see. Was it perfect? No. What the hell is perfect these days? It was good. Booyah-Fist-Pump good. That's more than I can say for most Summer blockbusters.

In my lifetime there was a Mecha vs. Kaiju movie in theatres.

Score.




AD
Barking Alien 

This is the 650th Post on the Barking Alien blog. So there.
 

 


2 comments:

  1. Saw it yesterday and I agree 100%.

    I thought it was the most "anime" live action movie I've seen in a long time., maybe ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! And I very much agree.

    ReplyDelete