Friday, December 31, 2021

Celebrate Good Times, Come On!

I have a lot of things I want to talk about and not that much time to do it in.

Why? Self enforced deadline to be honest. I wanted to get certain things posted before year's end because next year is kind of special.

As 2021 draws to a close, I work toward assembling my big plans for the new year. 2022 will mark my 45th Anniversary in the Tabletop RPG Hobby. Forty-five years from August 25th, 1977 to August 25th, 2022.




Thinking back on all those years I am humbled and grateful for the friends I've made, the characters we've created, the stories we've told, laughs we've had, and how it has changed our lives. Well...it definitely changed mine. At the same time, RPGs and my love of them have been a constant and consistent element of who I am for four and a half decades. 

That's cause for acknowledgement and celebration.

To that end I - and hopefully all of you reading this - can look forward to a pretty hefty schedule of posts next year. My intention is to cover all the usual unusual subjects - Ghostbusters, Star Trek, Star Wars - along with some additional ideas related to The Dark Crystal, Goblin Slayer, Marvel Comics, The Orville, and more!

I also plan to bring back some readership favorites* such as Campaigns I Have Known
Campaigns I Have Played, Player ProfilesThorough Thursdays, and What Other GMs Do Wrong. I'll also be adding some new features like One-Shots I Have Known, Things to Do, and more The Good, The Bad, The Whatever film and streaming reviews. 

To start off the year, I will be participating in the 31 Days / 31 Characters Challengethough in my own special way  That is to say, just as I did last year I will not be creating new characters but honoring some of the coolest and most interesting PCs and NPCs I have created or encountered over the past 45 years. 

These entries will join the usual A-to-Z Blog Challenge, the RPGaDay Challenge, and perhaps others. I am hoping 2022 will see more total posts in the year than any previous year and to do that I will need inspiration and catalysts for ideas. The various internet Blog Challenges can be frustrating but they also get me writing, at least initially. 

As I've noted in the past, I'd like to get some guest posts and art from my past players and GMs if at all possible. We shall see how that goes as time and schedules allow. 

You may notice that this post is a bit less theatrical than some similar ones I've made in the past along the same lines. This is intentional but don't believe for a second that next years posts will be devoid of my particular brand of showmanship, tomfoolery, and pop culture references. You've been warned. 

Come join the celebration...

AD
Barking Alien


I hate to end the year on a sad note but...

2021 had to get one last gut punch in and man oh man did it ever. I am heartbroken to report the passing of television legend Betty White.




Born Betty Marion White, this pioneer of early television was an actress and comedian with over seven decades of appearances on the 'small screen'. Best known for roles on The Mary Tyler Moore Show (1973-1977), The Golden Girls (1985-1992), and Hot in Cleveland (2010-2015). She also had award winning guest spots on The Bold and The Beautiful, Boston Legal, The Carol Burnett Show, and Saturday Night Live. 

Ms. White, a true national treasure and household name for 70 years, passed away in her home in Los Angles today, a mere seventeen days before celebrating her 100th birthday. 

A long time fan of Betty White's humor and optimism, I am saddened to see her go but her body of work will live on and you can't ask for much more than that. 






No comments:

Post a Comment