What's up next on the Barking Alien agenda Adam?
I'll take 'Obscure 'Old School' Japanese Science Fiction Tabletop RPGs' for the win, Jack!
You got it...
Written by Atsushi Yamakita
Produced by Far East Amusement Research - F.E.A.R.
Published by Hobby Japan, 1992
I can't even tell you how many times I've come across physical copies of this game and not purchased it over the years. So. Many. Times.
It was, quite literally, the Japanese TRPG I would see most often, on a regular basis really, in Books Kinokuniya, Asahiya Books (no longer around), and my very first love, Zen Oriental Books (also long gone). I never picked it up because...well there was always a reason.
- I don't have the money right now.
- I can't read Japanese (like that stopped me before or since - lame excuse!).
- I'll get it next time. They always have a copy.
- This other one is rarer/cooler/less expensive.
- It doesn't look all that great.
I even remember a Japanese friend telling me it was nothing special and that no one into gaming in Japan talks about it. It only had one supplement put out for it. Maybe my friend was right. Maybe it wasn't so great. And so little support? How popular could it have been? All that said...it always nagged at me. I had to get it and sure enough once I decided to...it was no where to be found.
Space Opera Heroes 2
A Supplement of Additional Rules, Options, and Ideas.
Fast forward to last week when I was doing some JTRPG research and I just happen to come across a reference to Space Opera Heroes purely by chance. I copy and pasted the Kanji and did a search to see if I could find any more about this 34 year old year that hardly gets a mention these days. What did I finid? Apparently, the original author of the game wrote a sequel of sorts in 1998 titled 'Star Road' and when he did, he put the entire first addition rulebook online...for FREE!
A 1998 Sequel to Space Opera Heroes
Written by Atsushi Yamakita
Produced by Far East Amusement Research - F.E.A.R.
Published by Gamer Field
Needless to say, I've been downloading and translating the book and WOW, was everyone wrong about this thing. It's low key awesome! It features a number of interesting ideas that are kind of unusual for games of that period in both the Japanese and the US market.
Space Opera Heroes Features Include:
- Characters can be built quickly using one of 40+ Archetypes!
- It's rules-lite, with a simple Stat+Skill+1D6 vs. a Target Number base mechanic.
- PCs can use Hero Points to achieve various special actions or effects.
- There are NHP - Negative Hero Points for the Space Opera Master!
- The Heroes (PCs) can't die unless the player wants to allow for that. Wha?!?
- Missions are always successful but there can be serious consequences.
- Classic Space Opera tropes are not just encouraged but enforced.
- There is a recommended adventure structure to keep things Space Opera.
These are just some of the cool concepts in the game. I am still going through the rules of course but I keep finding more and more intriguing bits.
A few things I would change: Starships are mentioned throughout but the rules for them are almost non-existant. That is to say, they don't have a system for making spacecraft, what to do with them beyond fighting, etc. The game essentially treats starships as items your character owns, no different from a Laser Pistol or Ray Sword (an alternative name for Lightsaber that I must say I really like). I would probably incorporate the rules from Space Ship Story into the game to expand the starship into a character and a useful base (and you know how much I love bases).
Another thing is Aliens; the attitude the game takes towards aliens is novel but not one that particularly appeals to me. It implies that while there are primitive forms of alien life and ancient civilizations and relics has been found, there are no active Alien Intelligences in the setting until a PC makes first contact with one.
I get this and it is reminiscent of a certain type of Science Fiction from the same era as Space Opera's Golden Age. At the same time, E. E. Smith's Lensman series, identified as a major inspiration for this game, was chock ful of sapient aliens! Looking at the game's 'Appendix N' you've got Captain Future, Captain Harlock, Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy, Larry Niven's Known Space books, Star Trek, Star Wars, and many others that feature aliens as regularly interacting with the Humans of Space.
Granted, I think what the game was going for is something more in the vein of Crusher Joe, The Dirty Pair, Season 1 Space: 1999, and other more Humancentric settings. Thing is, I love Space Opera and only tolerate Humans so I'd likely make alien Archetypes or a single, flexible Archetype called Alien. After all, there are Optional Rules for Robot Archetypes that range from a Humanoid Robot to a powerful Combat Robot to a Replicant/Bioroid type. Why not an Alien?
I did not expect to write about this game tonight, let alone write this much on the subject.
Smurfs, Open World Exploration, and more Space Opera Heroes to come real soon,
Good night Space Cowboy!
AD
Barking Alien




No comments:
Post a Comment