Monday, August 25, 2014

RPGaDay Challenge - Day 24

Day 24 - Most Complicated RPG Owned





I own a surprising number of complicated RPGs.


Surprising because, as any regular here on Barking Alien can tell you, I don't much like complicated RPGs. In most instances, I despise them.

It is therefore among the universe's great, unexplained paradoxes that I should be a fan of Champions, Bushido, and, yes, Space Opera. It's right up there with why we call it a 'bus stop' when it should be a 'bus pause'. I mean, the bus starts up again like a minute later...*

Space Opera aside (I will address that particular enigma below), I guess what it boils down to with these first two games, is that they just work for me. They do what I need them to do. These games facilitate a certain style of play in a particular fashion that I enjoy enough to put up with the crunchiness and relative complexity.

With Space Opera, who the heck knows. I'm not even sure how we played that game, but we did, and quite a lot at one time. I am pretty sure that much like Bushido, we house-ruled it in order to wrangle it into something resembling coherence.

OK, that's not far. Bushido doesn't need that much house-ruling. Space Opera needs a crud-load.


AD
Barking Alien


*Special thanks to the late, great George Carlin for that one.












No comments:

Post a Comment