Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Putting Genius On Hold

I'm a bit depressed.




It seems I may have to put my pet project of building a simulacrum of the Japanese TRPG Meikyuu Kingdom on hold because, quite frankly, I just can't find enough info on how the original is supposed to work to construct my bizarro clone of it. I realized I would need to make up a much larger percentage of material than I had at first anticipated and while there's nothing wrong with that, its more like me creating my own game and not me running Meikyuu Kingdom. I certainly could do that but honestly I don't really want to. I want to play the 'real' game.

Its funny but I know a lot of guys who run D&D (Big D&D fans as it were!), 1st through 3rd Editions, and modify the hell out of the rules to the point of having a good 10 or more pages of house rules. My thinking is, if I have to add to, eliminate or change more than 50% of the core elements of an RPG to have it play the way I want it to I need to play a different RPG.

Now granted I love to fiddle and modify stuff and I will change the heck of things but what I won't do is pretend I am actually playing that original game. In the case of my personal modified version of D&D, it really isn't all that modified. Well, sort of. Its closest to AD&D 1st and Sword & Wizardry with one major addition in the form of a system of special abilities granted to players based on their species/race, background, class, etc. It is extremely simple, rule-lite for sure and doesn't directly effect the vast majority of the other basic rules. I've been told however, that this one edition makes it very, very different from traditional D&D. I concur. I never claim to be running D&D. I run D&D-for-those-people-who-don't-like-D&D.

Anyway, I really, really want to run Meikyuu Kingdom. What I don't want to do, at least at this time, is make up a game that is a cheap copy of Meikyuu Kingdom. That wouldn't feel right to me and it doesn't do the original justice. If I had more time, money, etc. I might consider such a project but not right now.

It really does make me sad though, hence my 'Sad Ogrekin' image at the top. Someone out there really needs to bring this game to the US. Like yesterday.

AD
Barking Alien





2 comments:

  1. Can't you get it on the interwebs and translate the kanji?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far no.

    I get even get a physical copy as Amazon Japan doesn't ship to the US and I can't find it available through US based Japanese bookstores like Kinokuniya or Animebooks.

    If anyone knows where I can get the main rulebook I'd be much obliged.

    ReplyDelete