Sunday, July 5, 2015

Livin' la Vida Loca

Greetings All,

I want to talk to everybody for a moment about the status of Barking Alien - both the blog and it's proprietor, me. This is a personal post and a positive one in the end but it has nothing (or very little) to do with RPGs, Comic Books, Science Fiction, or other fandom related subjects. If you're here for those things thank you but check back with me on my next post.

If you're interested in what's been up with me and why I haven't posted or commented on others' blogs or generally been on the internet much in a while, well, here's the explanation. If you're a friend of the blog and I consider any visitor to this blog a friend in some capacity, this one's for you.
 
***

For sometime I have been experiencing financial difficulties resulting from my two jobs and my freelance, not quite covering my living costs. I knew I needed to find a less expensive place to live but didn't want to leave NYC because everything I have is here. My friends, my family, my businesses, and everything I love is located in the Big Apple.

Finally, my lease was up, and I had to move. Moving proved tricky, since my finances are tight, my credit isn't great (but it's not terrible), New York City is experiencing its lowest vacancy rates in decades (too many people, not enough available apartments), and time was of the essence.

I am happy to say, I found a place.

It was not easy however and it took me well over three weeks of searching, applying, getting rejected, searching again, getting approved, and finally moving.

My current apartment is a bit larger and a bit cheaper than my previous one, which saves me money. It is a little further North than I would've liked, which means I need to pay more in transportation (an increase in the occasional use of buses and trains).

I am located in New York's East Harlem section, sometimes colloquially referred to as 'Spanish Harlem'. While technically my last apartment was in East Harlem as well, I was really where it began and now I'm in the area proper.

I like it. It's taken me a few days, a couple of freak out moments, and a lot of physical work, but it's beginning to feel like home. Even my dog, who did not acclimate to the new apartment as easily as I'd hope, is finally relaxing, and settling in.

I just got my computer up, and running an hour prior to making to post. Before that, the machine was off since the late afternoon of June 30th. This, combined with the craziness of the past three weeks and change, has made it impossible to post or comment.

I want to apologize to Charles Atkins of DYVERS, who invited me to participate in an awesome project but my circumstances and mind set during the process have prevented me from getting my part done. I'm really sorry Charles. I wanted to be part of the project so badly. Is there still time?

As for the rest of my fans and followers, (yes, you too Hobo Joe), I intend for July to be fairly relaxed, so posts should build up again slowly. I am hoping to do something big for August, as it commemorates 38 years of my being in the RPG hobby.

Until then, sit back, chill out, enjoy the remainder of the Fourth of July Weekend (Happy Birthday America, and a Happy Illegal, Low-to-Medium Yield, Colorful Explosives Day to everyone!).

I hope to see you back here soon.

Peace, and Love,

AD
Barking Alien





4 comments:

  1. Moving house is always stressful so I'm glad that you've found a place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelvin, and yes it is.

      Moving is among my least favorite activities. I include it in the same category as going to the dentist, getting a prostate exam, and reading DC's New 52.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear things are sorting out for you. I have some things sorting out nicely myself so here's to a good month for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Can't wait to hear about it Blacksteel.

      Delete