Monday, May 8, 2017

Saving The Galaxy...Twice

It was a very 'The-Future-By-Way-of-the-70s-and-80s'  weekend for me, and I couldn't be happier.

To begin with, I went with a bunch of my friends to see Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 on Friday night. It was welcome both for the camaraderie, and the fact that the majority of my day consisted of walking in a torrential downpour. A warm, dry theater full of Marvel Cinematic Universe geeks was just what the doctor ordered.




I loved the movie. Loved it. As much as the first. It was a bit more talky, and perhaps the character arc elements were handled in a somewhat heavy-handed way, but these minor flaws were expertly balanced by loads of action, humor, cool special effects, and more Easter Eggs than a church social on the third Sunday in April. 

While I have traditionally been more of a DC fan than a Marvel one as far as comics go, Guardians of the Galaxy is one of the Marvel properties I was really into as a kid. I mean, a team of outer space superheroes battling alien oppression in the distant future - what's not to like?

The more modern incarnation of the Guardians, which resembles the movie team a lot more, has also been pretty good overall, and so when the Marvel Cinematic Universe decides to mix both new and old together for a film, well, they're playing my song. 




In addition to seeing the movie, I got together with some friends I don't get to game with all that often to run a one-shot of Star Frontiers.

I modified one of the classic TSR modules, Mission to Alcazzar, and ran the three players through it with a focus on fast paced, zany combat, and snappy dialogue. Seeing Guardians of the Galaxy 2 obviously influenced my approach. 

Well that's all for now, back very soon with some additional musings on Space Opera Science Fiction role playing. 

Thrusters to Maximum!

AD
Barking Alien






No comments:

Post a Comment