Thursday, August 4, 2022

I Just Want to Celebrate

Welcome to August and what is intended to be the height of my celebration of 45 years in the Tabletop RPG hobby.



Art by Midjourney, AI Image Generator
Prompts: Barking Alien, 45th Anniversary, Celebration, Green Fireworks


The plan was to make the whole year about this; to commemorate, honor, and in some ways memorialize that which has given me an outlet for creative expression and kept me sane through the decades. 

Unfortunately, I feel as if I've fallen far short of that goal up to this point. Even this post in coming late to the party.

I haven't had much to say lately on the past, present, or future of my gaming. Nothing that I feel warrants a post in my opinion. I'm not enthused or inspired to recount past successes, discuss current goals, or postulate what the next 45 years will be like. Will there even be another 45 years?

To that I will say, "Yes, definitely". I love TRPGs. I love the idea of them, a well executed campaign, and I will likely continue to do so far into my twilight years. Am I enjoying it as much as I have in the past? Well...not always. The frustrations sometimes outweigh the fun but I have to believe that the best things are yet to come. 

To that end...




This month will be what it was intended to be, a celebration of my time as a gamer. In addition to fulfilling the 2022 RPGaDay Challenge for another year, I will be posting some rather personal entries about people, events, and ideas that have impacted my friends and/or myself over my 45 years of slinging dice and using funny voices. 

Also, don't be surprised if you see a few posts on The Orville, specifically Season 3: New Horizons, as the season finale airs tomorrow, August 4th, 2022, at 12 am (on the East Coast of the USA). 

Please raise a glass of your favorite adult beverage and join in the festivities.

Better late than never.

AD
Barking Alien

My apologies that this too is late in coming...




Anyone familiar with Science Fiction, Television, and American History knows by now that we lost a legend last week with the passing of the one and only Nichelle (Grace Dell) Nichols. Most well known for her role in the original Star Trek series and films at Nyota Uhura, the actress, singer, dancer, and advocate for the American Space Program was a key figure in the induction of woman and people of color into the ranks of the NASA's Astronauts. She was an inspiration and a multi-talented woman of class, conviction, and compassion. 

Ms. Nichols, you will be sorely missed and fondly remembered. 







No comments:

Post a Comment