Sunday, August 20, 2023

RPGaDay Challenge 2023 - Day 20

 


The same games I played 20 years ago and/or I'm playing now. Plus some new ones I suppose. 

I may have switched out FASA's and Last Unicorn's Star Trek RPGs for Star Trek Adventures but I figure if I was using 4th Edition Champions in '89 and 4th Edition Champions now, there is a really good chance I'll be running 4th Edition Champions in 20 years. 

I'm not much for switching to the shiny new version of stuff unless it works better for me than the stuff I have. If my tools do their job I have no need to buy new tools. I am one for checking out new games and new versions of old games to see if indeed that do work better for my objectives but if I don't see major improvements I'm good sticking with what I have. 

Possibly my best example of this is the Ghostbusters RPG.


I played the original Ghostbusters RPG published by West End Games in 1986 way back in...1986. We modified it with houserules that made it more like the Star Wars RPG, which wouldn't come out until 1987.

When the 2nd Edition, Ghostbusters International, came out in 1989 we modified it even further. 

Sometime in 2002, the game InSpectres came out and I noticed how similar it was to the old Ghostbusters game. I found my old Ghostbusters notes and created a kitbash combining my GB houserules with some new ideas from the InSpectres game.

In the fall of 2021 I updated my Ghostbusters rules once again, this time merging them with the Panic/Stress system from Free League's ALIEN RPG. I really like how it came out and it's what I will use to run Ghostbusters for the foreseeable future. 

In 20 years? Who knows? It could be I'll still be using my current version of Ghostbusters or it could be additionally modified by some game that hasn't come out yet. I'll let you know in 20 years I guess.

AD
Barking Alien







No comments:

Post a Comment