Sunday, August 13, 2023

RPGaDay Challenge 2023 - Day 13




There hasn't been much Player Character death in my campaigns over the last 20-25 years. This is something I've mentioned a number of times before but I feel it's relevant to reiterate in a post about the 'most memorable character DEMISE' I can recall.

Even prior to 25 years it wasn't particularly common. The original reason for this was that I sought to emulate the genres I was running - Ghostbusters, Star Trek, Star Wars, Superhero Comic Books - and main character death in these settings didn't occur very often if at all. 

A second reason, which evolved over time, was that my players and I found it more fun to challenge the PCs and make their lives more interesting and difficult as opposed tp simply ending them. It could happen; a bad decision, a poorly executed plan, or underestimating a particularly formidable foe or obstacle could certainly bring about a character's final curtain call. Luckily, my players were clever, crafty, and we all understood what we were going for. Put a pin in that last part as it will be important soon enough. 

Something changed when I started playing with many of my current groups about 15 years ago and onward. While reason number one remained in place, reason number two wavered a bit. I realized the groups I was with played differently from my older ones and if I went full tilt, what would be considered a challenge to my ol' Art and Design High School buddies would surely, regularly, result in TPKs with my newer friends. 

To be clear, this is not because my newer gaming compatriots are inferior in any way to my prior players but rather because they lacked that intrinsic understanding of what I had in mind and my unfamiliarity with their playstyles. We weren't, and couldn't be, on the same page it took my old friends and I years to establish. 

Now we come full circle back to the initial prompt/question: What is the most memorable character DEMISE I can think of? Well, I've told tales of notable PC passings in the past and don't really have one that I am excited to discuss here so I will simply link to a few favorites.


Gobo Pepperthorn - My very first PC - Basic Dungeons and Dragons

Jet 'Ohana' Kahele - Mekton II / Mobile Suit Gundam houserules

That should be good enough. I'm still really drained from being sick last week so please forgive me, this is about the best I can muster. 

See you tomorrow,

AD
Barking Alien






No comments:

Post a Comment