Friday, August 17, 2018

RPGaDay Challenge 2018 - Day 17

Oh dear. This is embarrassing.





I have been extremely fortunate to have received quite a number of compliments regarding my gaming over the years.

This is certainly a source of pride for me but also very difficult for me to reconcile with my generally low sense of self esteem. For a very long time I felt as if what I was doing was nothing special or worse, I was some sort of charlatan getting praise for showmanship and cheap parlor tricks, no matter how many people praised my gamemastering or how loudly. 

I don't know what the best compliment I have ever received was.

Once, at Gen Con, I was voted best player in a Villains and Vigilantes game and won a gift certificate. At another convention where I GMed, I tied with another fellow for best GM and then won an additional award for going above and beyond to make the whole show more enjoyable when weather conditions crippled the expected turn out. I've been on TV talking about how awesome RPGs are two or three times. Friends have requested I run a game for them for their birthdays. 

A lot of people who have been in games I've ran still talk about those games 20+ years later.

I don't have a greatest compliment but I do now allow myself to truly think and feel that I am a great gamer. 

That's all the praise I need. 

AD
Barking Alien





No comments:

Post a Comment