Friday, August 24, 2018

RPGaDay Challenge 2018 - Day 24

Hmmm.



So many.

Really, it's hard to know where to start. 

You'll notice that my answer to the previous question had me listing a dozen or so games that are not D&D, Pathfinder, Numenera, nor any of the more popular generic systems like Fate or Savage Worlds.

It does my heart good to know that Modiphius Entertainment is doing well with things like Tales from the Loop, Star Trek Adventures, and others. I am happy to see so many Kickstarters for really neat RPG concepts get funded, such as Golden Sky Stories' supplement Twilight Tales and Derek Elhmann's Oddity High

I like RPGs. Lots of RPGs. Lots of RPGs that are different from each other. I've compared it in the past to eating your favorite food three meals a day, every day, on and on and on. I love Sushi and Burritos but I could eat either Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner for the rest of my life. 

I want to see more games in general get greater recognition. I want to see blogs other than mine discuss Mekton. I think games for kids like No Thank You Evil and Faery's Tale Deluxe deserve a lot more attention. Who is discussing Masks, Mutants and Masterminds, or Villains and Vigilantes regularly?

Do a Google Search for 'Dungeons and Dragons Blog' and see what you get.

Now do one for Star Trek RPG Blog, Champions Blog, or Pendragon Blog. You'll find some stuff surely, but the number drops considerably. 

Bottom line, I think a great many games deserve greater recognition. I think part of the fun of this hobby is trying different games in different genres and seeing what the differences are. It's an amazing thing to be able to spend a year fighting super villains and defeating a cosmic menace and then the next trying to survival a post-apocalyptic wasteland.or on a far off alien planet. See if you can come out on top of a Games of Thrones and then take a break to enjoy the cream pies and anvils of Toon. 

So many games deserve a second look. Give a few you haven't looked at before or in a while a chance. Boring old D&D will still be there when you get back. 

AD
Barking Alien








No comments:

Post a Comment