Friday, April 22, 2011

S is for Stories, The Tales That We Tell

I can only imagine S being pretty full of itself.

It's an overexposed letter quite frankly, used far too often for too many things. Seriously now, why couldn't a Star have been called a Xhar or a Zhar to give X and Z something to do?

When trying to think of an entry for S it was difficult because there are just too many things I like and think about that start with S. Science, Science Fiction, Scott Pilgrim, Sesame Street, Sorcery, Space, Space Opera, Spock, Star Frontiers, Star Lord, Star Trek, Star Wars, Steampunk, Superheroes, Superman, Superpowers, Sword and Planet...and the list goes on and on.

So I have decided to dedicate this entry to Stories... I have something of a gift for them I've been told, by both gamers and non-gamers alike. Whether it is this knack that lead me to more story oriented gaming or vice versa I do not know. What I do know is that when I game I aim to tell a good story and have an even better story built around it by the end of the game thanks to my players.

My biggest reward for doing all the prep and contemplation that goes into an running an RPG, be it a single session or a massive campaign, is when three months, one year, or even ten years later a player of mine says, "Damn, remember that time we were playing in Adam's Star Trek game and our minds were transferred into those alien bodies. That *#@^ was crazy! Man, that was a good game."

In my opinion there is no higher honor, no greater calling than to tell a story, have it be remembered and have someone pass it on. We in the modern world have largely lost our need and desire for the oral history that once kept early cultures alive and paved the way for their continued existence and as a result our own. We are, all of us, immortal in a fashion if there are stories told of our deeds and actions to the generations that follow.

My father passed away about 20 years ago and my nephew of 4 obviously never met him. While my Dad certainly had his shortcomings as do we all, I hope to keep using some of his odder phrases and tell tales of our fishing excursions to my nephew when he gets a bit older. I hope he tells his kids about his funny uncle. Be they true or made up, simple or complex, accurate or exaggerated and everything in between, never stop telling stories.

AD
Barking Alien








3 comments:

  1. there is a story in all of us, and we should definitely share them :)
    Great meeting you through the A-Z!

    nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.co

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me some time to realize it but yes, this is the main "payoff" in the long run from This Thing We Do. Fun and good times with friends in the short term, stories of things done together later. Realizing that has helped me aim a little higher with the campaigns I run now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Realizing that has helped me aim a little higher with the campaigns I run now."

    My work here is done.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete