Saturday, April 30, 2011

Z is for Zoilism and The End of the Line


I can sometimes be guilty of zoilism in relation to Dungeons and Dragons, it's various cousins and the style of play those games lend themselves to.

I do this, largely, because I don't like them much. Yeah, sorry, no deep philosophical reason or complex greater meaning. I am not a fan and that's that. At the same time, I know why I'm not a fan and I don't dislike anything without a reason or trying it first.

As a matter of fact, I've tried D&D often. Some 33 years after playing Basic D&D for the first time, I still periodically find myself playing or running it (or a variant of it). I don't despise it as much as I claim to but I don't really enjoy it either. I think that April's A-to-Z Challenge had a few moments where I just needed to vent my general frustration with the fact that a game I am not into is talked about so much, whereas games I like get less play.

I get bummed about it occasionally. Honestly though, tough beans for me. I shouldn't gripe about it. What I should do is write about those other games I enjoy so they get some love. Very often I do. This month I've been so wiped out from real life I think I got lazy and complained.

I won't apologize for what I wrote as I never said anything I didn't mean but I didn't mean to carp so in some instances. I promise less carping in the future.

Today I played Villains & Vigilantes for the first time in who knows how long and while it isn't Mutants & Masterminds, it was very fun to visit with my old friend once more. We played two sort scenarios and the players, who had never played V&V before, liked it alot. I could see why. A large part of it was that it was more like the games they were used to.

Familiar things like Hit Points, multiple die types for different attacks and all the other old school elements felt more comfortable to them than the alieness of M&M's automatic damage based on your power's rating and conditions and such. It was a very interesting excerise. I may have to revisit it again in the near future.

So far now, the A-to-Z Challenge is done. I hope everyone enjoyed it and enjoyed my posts for this month. Right now I think I am looking forward to May being themeless. Also, looking forward to getting Muppet Mondays up and running.

Have a great weekend everybody,

AD
Barking Alien


Zoilism - the practice of making bitter, carping, and sometime harsh criticisms and judgments.





No comments:

Post a Comment