Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Sesame Place of Your Own

Welcome back gang! Right now, Super Grover 2.0 is flying around getting a list together of different examples of a new game element I'm adding in called 'Playgrounds'.

Playgrounds combines three elements of the regular Muppets game, namely Props, Costumes and a renovated idea called Locations/Sets, into a catch all title that better fits what they are and how they work on Sesame Street.


"OK, he told me to turn on this signal light to let him know when I'm ready...here goes."

(CLICK-spark-BUZZ)

"There! Look, it's..."






SUPER GROVER 2.0!

"Once more the call goes out to the cutest and furriest of do-gooders, say it with me, Super Grover 2.0."


"Excellent Super Grover 2.0! Do you have the list?"


"Come again? List?"


"Yeah. The list I told you to get together of everything that fit the description of a Playground for the Sesame Street RPG. You did do it right?"


"Ahh...a list is all you wanted. Oh dear. I may have overdone the superheroics a bit. I am still working all the bugs out of this upgrade you know."


"Super Grover 2.0 is that...did you...Holy Macaroni!"


"Yes. I um...I gathered together everything you wanted to use to represent Playgrounds and put them over here. Big Bird's Nest was a bit tricky but Oscar's Trashcan was surprisingly easy."


"You're not half as surprised as I am fur-face. Now what's all this racket about a Playground?"


Playgrounds are basically locations that act similarly to Costumes in the Muppets RPG but in a way can do even more. Essentially, all the props and more you need for various adventures are back at your Playground. However, all the items must follow a certain theme. There is no problem with a loose interpretation of a theme but a Spaceship would be unlikely to contain a Magic Wand for example, without a really cool reason of course.

There are two kinds of Playgrounds, Personal and Community.

To obtain a Personal Playground you need to spend five Sunny Days. Once created, it is yours and all the other Props and Costumes you obtain can be kept in your Playground regardless of how strange it may seem. Oscar's Trashcan contains an Olympic sized swimming pool, a piano, his pet elephant Fluffy and, at least in my mind, somewhere to park his car, the Sloppy Jalopy.

To create a Community Playground, at least two characters must give up four Sunny Days each. If more than five characters are involved, each needs only spend three Sunny Days. All the characters involved in the creation of a Community Playground can keep their stuff there (Props, Costumes) and the location is assumed to be slightly bigger to accommodate multiple characters.

In addition, for each character connected to the Playground, it (the Playground that is) can produce one Bonus Die Prop per session. Alternatively, it can make one +1 item and one +2 item, or three +1 items.

Personal Playgrounds from Sesame Street include Big Bird's Nest and Oscar's Trash Can. Possibly even Elmo's World!

Community Playgrounds can range from small, two character places like Bert & Ernie's Apartment or Luis and Maria's Fix-It Shop to Hooper's Store!






"Yeah I tried to lift that one but it was a bit tough. Not heavy so much as awkward."

"Right. Well, I think I got my idea across. Couldn't have done it without you Super Grover. I mean, Super Grover 2.0."


"Glad to be of service."

"That sounds kinda fun. Now then, since you're so glad to be of service, do me the service of putting my trash can back where it belongs!"






AD
Barking Alien




Muppet Quotes

Kermit the Frog: "Hi ho there. This is Kermit the Frog and I'm here to find out why Oscar the Grouch likes public television."
Oscar the Grouch: "I don't like public television!"
Kermit the Frog: "How about live concerts?"
Oscar the Grouch: "I prefer recorded concerts on badly scratched records."
Kermit the Frog: "How about movie classics in the original black and white without interruptions?"
Oscar the Grouch: "I prefer colorized versions with lots and lots of commercial interruptions!"

Here's A Sesame Street News Flash!

Playgrounds were originally called Locations, then Bases (As in 'Base' in a game of tag), then dropped, then added back as Locations in the first rules sets I did for a Sesame Street game. Erin Palette helped me come up with the name Playgrounds by first suggesting 'Play Areas'.


Did you honestly think I would do a Sesame Street RPG blog that didn't include a least one shot of Mr. Hooper? Come on now.

Getting down to the wire, eh? A bit less than two weeks left on this Month! How am I going to fit everything in? We'll see. It's going to be fun trying.






No comments:

Post a Comment